Friday 23 October 2009

I'm back

Hello Everyone,

Well I am back from Westminster. Yes I got there in one piece. The experience has been surreal in some ways but really useful in others.

Did I achieve what I set out to do? Yes I met with my MP. I informed of the lobby issue I was most interested in. I followed advice from my writing group and chose a topice I knew about.

My MP was very easy to talk to, extremely approachable and very honest. I spent twenty minutes with him and it was time very well used. I got my point across, what we wanted to achieve and what I needed to be done by him.

I received training in a workshop prior to the meeting to make sure I knew what I was doing.

Yesterday morning at my first ever Westminster Fly-In I stood up in front of the whole conference and asked Professor Mike Richards a question concerning younger breast patients. I was nervous doing this but felt it had to be asked. If I didn't ask it would it be asked, probably not so I stood there with the microphone and did it.

Later I met my MP waiting around made me nervous but as soon as I saw him appear climbing up the steps to the building I was reassured. I felt in control and lead the way.

Am I proud of myself. YES, you bet I am. I never knew I could do this.

Will I do this again next year? Most probably if given the chance as I love helping others and the way to make issues heard is to raise them.

At the end of the day yesterday we had a group photo. Starting a few stairs up. Most of us headed for the back thinking we wouldn't be seen. LOL. A crafty photographer guessed this ploy and took the picture looking down on us all. Hee Hee.

It was a super time and I have made new friends and contacts. I even got mothered without asking to be. I now know I have to be kind to myself as well as campaigning.

Have I learnt a lot? Yes lots far more than I could ever have imagined. Will I use this experience in my writing and future projects you bet I will.

Best wishes to you all.

Fee

3 comments:

  1. On my way to bed and read your news, Fee. All those worries for nothing! A wonderful post, you are making a difference, just as you'd hoped. We are proud of you too.
    Learning to be kind to yourself is so important, isn't it, that's one I struggle with.
    I loved the bit about the photograph - how clever!
    Wishing you continued success, night, night, hugs...xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fee,
    Another inspirational posting. You are, and quite rightly so, proud of yourself.
    To be challenged and take that challenge, head on, displayed your resilient determination.
    I know that the experiences, learned and shared, will be major catalysts in your ongoing writing quests.
    Wishing you the very best in all you wish to achieve.
    With respect and kindness, Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Carole,

    Thank you for your support it means so much.

    Dear Gary,

    I am learning a lot on my writing journey and about my life. I feel challenged everyday but take a challenge and face it head on rather than run away.

    Best wishes and thank you for your support.

    Feex

    ReplyDelete