Sunday 23 May 2010

I've Done It

Well I have done it. It took 1 hour and 10 minutes to complete the mile swim but I DID IT.

It helped having some wonderful support along the way and to know I was being kept an eye on by the swimming club Secretary and Chairman made me more determined to keep on going and complete the challenge I had set for myself.

I was so worried about it as I had had a bad cold during the week. The cough is still lingering but at least I pushed myself rather than crying off from doing the swim.

At forty lengths I had an energy drink which spurred me on. On the last length someone said "I've lost count you will have to start again". Luckily I knew it was my last one so wasn't put off by this comment.

The staff at the swimming club have been wonderful support and I know now whatever ideas I come up with I will complete them no matter what befalls me along the way.

I am so pleased with myself as not only have I pushed myself to do the swimming challenge but I went out yesterday to The Square in Shrewsbury to help raise awareness of the Relay for Life event at London Road Sports Centre in Shrewsbury on 11th and 12th September this year.

If the weather hadn't been so hot my wonderful husband would have worn a cowboy shirt and I was hoping to have finished a poncho to wear and have some fun. Instead I wore a pink beach wrap, dressed up with a fake pearl necklace, a long pink skirt and red lipstick on my cheeks, along with a pink headband across my head as an indian squaw. This shows that fancy dress doesn't have to cost a lot and by just raiding my wardrobe I was able to come up with something suitable.

I love being creative and now I will have to turn my mind to more challenges as this now seems like an anticlimax now. A bit like after I got married. Having organised a lot of things, what was I going to focus on. A lot of energy had gone into planning the wedding, finding bargains and searching the internet had been thrilling.

I just have to see what comes up next. I love my life despite the trials I face along the way. Would I swap it for something else? NO!

I am far more challenged doing what I am doing and achieving that I can't imagine going back to the way my life used to be. I am meeting wonderful people along the way and facing challenges I thought I would never attempt let alone complete.

What will be my next challenge? I have no idea right now but knowing me it won't be long before I find something else to meet my needs.

I feel so different from this morning. The worry of was I up to the challenge and would it go all right has gone. I suppose that is how a professional performer feels before they go out on stage.

I could have chickened out this morning and notified the club I wasn't up to it, but I know right now I would have been thinking what a missed opportunity this would have been and anything is worth attempting even if I hadn't finished at least I would have tried.

I suggested to someone they should be in the pool with me when they hinted I should be swimming faster. Their reply had been

"I have a war wound on my leg which prevents me swimming". My retort was

"I have more scars than you and I am doing it".

"I will have to think of some other excuse next time won't I" he replied.

Thinking to myself "too right".

I am now tired and going to sleep and hope my cough goes away soon as it frightens Missi our cat. The reason for this is it sounds like a dog barking at times. I try and comfort her to let her realise it is me but she gets worried and hides. Eventually she comes out from her hiding place for a fuss and of course food.

She is currently lying on the windowsill making lots of noise at a magpie which is annoying her. Yet, if we let her out she soon comes back in luckily with no dead animals. I think she is more mouth than action.

I just have to trawl through my sponsor sheets and work out who has paid what and keep track of amounts. I feel so privileged to have been given the opportunities I have had and without asking friends, family and contacts I would never have raised the amount I have. So a big THANK YOU to all those who supported me in this event.

Best wishes to everyone.

Fee x

8 comments:

  1. Hi Fee,
    Excellent news! I just knew your determination would see you through.
    Have a wonderful week.
    With respect and admiration, Gary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Fee, that's an amazing achievment, well done, you are an inspiration to us all.
    Best wishes
    Di
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. I should think with the weather we've had this weekend, everyone will have been doing their utmost to get into a swimming pool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, that's great achievement. I'm really pleased for you.

    Mike xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Gary,

    Thank you as ever for your support and encouragement.

    Best wishes

    Fee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Di,

    I just do what I feel is right. I am glad I did this challenge. I am not an inspiration or brave I just cope with what I have to.

    Best wishes

    Fee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Simon,

    The last ten minutes were hard as the adult only swim session had begun and the pool was fairly crowded but I was lucky I had just enough space to complete it.

    It was lovely seeing others enjoying themselves in the pool, which was lovely and cool and I really appreciated this on Sunday with the weather we had.

    Best wishes and thank for your support.

    Fee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mike,

    Thank you for your support. It is nice to have written proof that I have completed a mile now what will be my next challenge?

    Watch this space.

    Best wishes

    Fee

    ReplyDelete