Sunday 28 June 2009

Well I did it

I attended the Drayton Writers "Open Mike" event today.

Tips for those doing anything similar in the future.

1. Preparation

How long is the slot you have been allocated? Never over run your invited time. Work out what pieces of work you have that can fit into the time slot. My slot was 3-5 minutes max. I chose 3 small poems and new these could be fitted in easily in three minutes. My wonderful husband timed me yesterday to ensure that I would not overrun.

2. Arrival

Make sure you arrive in plenty of time so that any forseen circumstances like traffic jams or road works etc won't make any difference and fluster you.

3. Speaking/Reading

When you go to stand in front of everyone. Take a few deep breaths.

I didn't do this and was shaking like a leaf all the way through my readings. I was given this advice after the event.

So my best advice is learn from my mistakes.

Make sure everyone can hear you and speak loudly and clearly.

That is all the advice I can give you.

Above all else try and enjoy the experience. I wasn't the only one who was nervous and some of the others there were also new to this experience. The more practiced at events like this were really supportive.

So tonight I went off swimming to celebrate.

Best wishes to everyone

Fee

No comments:

Post a Comment